12 Oct 2007

Thrillingly breath-taking

Movie:The Last Samurai

Starring: Tom Cruise, Ken Watanabe

The way of Samurai

The Spirit of Samurai

"Because they come to destroy what I have come to love." Fabulous.

"You believe, a man can change his destiny?"

"…a man does he can, until his destiny is revealed"

"And so the days of the Samurai had end. Nations, like men, as it is sometimes said, have their own destinies."

Among all the movies that I have watched recently, "The Last Samurai" is the most touching and passionate one.

I have seen the idea bravery being expressed variously in all kinds of hero movies. Heroes die for their beliefs. "The Last Samurai" is about tradition, culture and beliefs. There's a battle between swords and rifles. It's obvious that swords have got little advantage over rifles. I'm not here to discuss which side has won, which there's really no need to mention. Technologies develop rapidly and as the weapons are getting more and more complicated; our minds need to become simpler.

Unfortunately this is proved impossible for most of us. It's like this. I mean, well, men invent weapons, so as weapons become modern, men must become "moderner" to suit the society.

Just this morning I heard people talking that it is really necessary to be hypocritical when you go to work, 'cos if not you will never be able get along well with other hypocrites, and consequently become ill-treated by your boss. I must say that this is a sad fact, which all of us must accept. I started to wonder if there's still something real in this world.

Now, after watching the movie, I somehow generated some power to face the cruel reality. I have seen the road of keeping one's own belief is really not smooth. However, it is possible, if you are willing to die to defend your belief. Pursuing in your own direction is just so hard, but nothing's harder than to betray your heart, a way that I have reasons to believe I will not choose.

I admire all the samurais, the symbols of bravery, not really because what they have done is glorious, but that it is an extraordinary act to pursue your beliefs consistently when you know death is probably your final destiny.

"You believe, a man can change his destiny?"

"…a man does he can, until his destiny is revealed"

Why not?

I can't change my destiny, in a way. However, in another way, I myself am the only one who is able to create my destiny.

I would die to defend my love and my belief. Never mind it sounds too ideal. It's a movie, precisely, but then, it is also a life, is it not?

No comments: